1. - New Year
14. - Old - New Year (for Orthodox Christians).
17. - Martyrs of Shio-Mgvime: Evagresi, Diacon Ilia and others.
21. - Saint ABO of Tiflis (786 AD).
27. - Saint Nina , Nino (IV century).
28. - Salome of Ujarma (IV century).
1. - Saint ANTONY
(Martkopheli, the Hermit, VI century).
8. - Saint DAVID IV, the Victorious, (King of Georgia and Defender of the
Faith, 1125 AD).
11. - St. Ashot Curapalati (Martyr in Temple of Artanuji, 829 AD).
17. - St. Evagrisi (the disciple of Shio-Mgvimeli).
19. - St. Arsen Ikaltoeli (1127 AD).
23. - St. Ioane Chimchimeli (Philosopher, XIII century).
25. - Feast Day of Icon of Most Holy Theotokos of Iberia [Georgia]; / also,
Prokhore of Georgia (a reestablisher of Holy Cross Monastery in Jerusalem,
XI century), and also St. Nikolz Dvali (Martyred by Muslims in Jerusalem,
3. - Mother's Day; also St.
Nikoloz Catholicosi (1591 AD).
7. - The Nine Brothers of Kola - SS. Guram, Adarnase, Baqar, Vache, Bardzim,
Dachi, Juansher, Ramaz and Pharsman (were stoned, VI century).
16. - Ioane Catholicos ("Oqropir", 1001 AD).
23. - Ioane of Khakhuli (was called as "Oqropiri", X-XI cent.).
25. - King Dimitry (Tavdadebuli, 1289); Day of reestablishing
Independence-Autocephaly of Georgian Orthodox Church (1917) from Russian
jurisdiction (new choosen Patriarch Kirion II was killed in 1918 by Russian
29. - Pimen of Salosi (Enlightener of North Caucasus peope, XIII century).
10. - St. Ioane bishop of
Mangleli (1751 AD).
14. - St. Ioane Shavteli and Evlogy of Salosi.
15. - St. Giorgi Matskevereli (IX-X cent.).
17. - St. Giorgi Mtsire (IX century).
23. - Saint mothers (nuns) of Qvabtakhevi Monastery (1386); and also "Glory
of Georgian Language".
28. - Saint CYCHIUS and 16 Georgian Martyrs: Andria, Anastasi, Talale,
Theodorite, Ivqirion, Iordane, Kondrate, Lukiane, Mimnanos, Nerangios,
Polyevqtos, Iakob, Phoka, Domentiane, Biqtor and Zosime.
1. - St.Basili Ratishvili
2. - Day of Didube (Diduboba).
3. - 6000 Martyrs in the David Garedja Monastery (1616 AD).
14. - Saint Queen Tamari (1213 AD).
16. - Saint Mamai Cathalicos (744 AD); also Miqael and Arsen of Georgia - of
Ulompo (IX century.
20. - Saint JOHN ZEDAZNELI and the thirteen Syrian Fathers: Abibos
Nekreseli, Anton Martmkofeli, David Garejeli, Zenon Ikaltoeli, Tadeoz of
Stephantsminda, Ise of Tsilkani, Ioseb of Alaverdi, Isidore of Samtavno,
Miqael of Ulompo, Piros of Breta, Stephane of Khirsa and Shio of Mgvime (VI
century); / and also Akaki Asistavi (303 AD).
22. - Saint SHIO OF MGHVIMELI (Mghvime), the Anchorite (VI cent.)
26. - INDEPENDENCE DAY OF GEORGIA; and also Saint EUTHYMIUS of Athos, the
31. - Saints DAVID and TARICHAN, brothers (693 AD).
1. - SAINT NINO (Nina), Her
entrence into Georgia (323 AD).
5. - King Dimitry, the writter of Georgian Sacred carol "Shen khar venakhi -
You Are a Grapeyeard..." (1157).
9. - St. Basili, the son of King Bagrat III.
14. - Holy Fathers: Shio of Akhali, David, Gabriel and Pavle of Gareja,
(were killed by Leks [Dagestanians] during 1696-1700 AD).
15. - St. Dodo of Gareja (596 AD).
16. - St. David of Gareja ("Mamadavitoba" in Tbilisi, VI century).
22. - St. Ioane of Shavtel-Gaenati (XIII century).
25. - St. Tornike of Athos (Ioane).
29. - Saint Qaikhosro of Georgia (1558 AD).
30. - Saint Shalva of Akhaltsikhe (1227AD).
4. - Saints ARCHIL (784 AD)
and LUARSAB II (1622 AD).
10. - Saint GEORGE of Mount Athos (1065).
13. - Day of Twelve Apostles. SVETITSKHOVLOBA; Public baptism in the river
25. - Saints JOHN (Euthymu's father) and GABRIEL (X century).
3. - Saint SALOME OF GEORGIA
(martyred by Muslims, XVIII cent.); also Saint Ilia Chavchavadze (was killed
by Russian Tsarists, 1837-1907 AD);
Day of Angel of Georgian Catholocos - Patriarch - Ilia II.
Saint ILARION OF TVALI (XI century)
11. - Saint EUSTHATHIUS of Mtskheta (589 AD).
13. - St. Arsen, Bishop of Ninotsminda (1082).
16. - Saint RAJDEN, Martyred in village Tsromi (457).
21. - St. Eqvtime, Elder of Monastery of St. John Baptist (1804).
25. - SS. Geronti, Seraphion, Herman, Bessarion, Miqael and Svimeoni (were
killed in the monastery of Garedja, 1851).
28. - Day of Sioni Church (Sionoba).
29. - Saint ANTONY of Martkofi (see also Jen.19); Day of Anchiskhati
Cathedral (Anchiskhatoba); Saint Qristophore of Guria.
30. - St. Qristodule (Philosopher, XII century).
2. - Day of Didgori
3. - St. Sarmean, Catholocos of Qartli (779 AD).
10. -Saint SHUSHAINIK (Susanna), Queen and Martyr (475 AD).
14. - Begining of Indiqtion - New Year according to Church Calendar.
21. - Day of Didube and Gelati (Diduboba, Gelatoba).
26. - Saint KETEVAN, Queen of Kachetia, Martyr (1624 AD).
28. - Saint JOSEPH of Alaverdi (570 AD).
29. - Saint ISAAC and JOSEPH, Martyred in Karnu (808 AD).
1. - Saint BIDZINA; and two
brothers from Ksani - SS. SHALVA and ELIZBAR (1661).
8. - Saint Arsen the Great (Catholocos, 887 AD).
12. - St. Onophre of Gareja (XVIII century).
14. - Commemoration of the miracles wrought by the holy tunic of OUR LORD,
St. King Mirian, Queen Nana and St. Sidonia (sister of Jew rabbin - Abiatar,
Day of Mtskheta (Mtskhetoba-Svetitskhovloba).
15. - Saints DAVID and CONSTANTINE (Mkheidze, 740 AD).
17. - Saint Evdemoz Catholicos (martyr, 1642 AD).
18. - Saint GREGORY of Khandza (861 AD).
20. - St. Elder Ioseb (1763 AD).
26. - Saint Antony, Mitropolit of Chkondidi and his disciple Elder-monk
Iakob (1815 AD).
29. - Martyr Longinoz of Asistavi (a witness of suffering of Jesus Christ, I
30. - Saint Joseph (Catholicos, 1770 AD).
10. - Saint NEOPHYTUS of
Urbani, Martyr (VII century).
11. - Saint SERAPHION of Zarzma (900 AD).
12. - St. Iotham Zedgenidze (1465 AD).
13. - Memorial Day of 100,000 martyrs in Tbilisi (1227 AD).
17. - SS. Ioane, Stephan and Isaia of Georgia (846 AD).
23. - St. King Konstantine (martyr, 852 AD).
30. - Saint MIQAEL of Gobron (914 AD).
2. - Saint HILARION of
Georgia (875 AD).
12. - Saint ABIBOS, Bishop of Nekresa, Martyr (VI century).
13. - The entrence of the Apostle Andrea in Georgia (62 AD);
St. King Vakhtang Gorgasali (502 AD).
15. - Saint IESSE, Bishop of Tsilkani ("Tsilknoba", VII century).
24. - Day of all Georgian Fathers and Mothers.
25. - Intronozation Day of Georgian Catholicos-Patriarch ILIA II ,his
consecration to the Patriarchacy.
The Fallowing are movable -
Saint SHIO of Mgvime (another commemoration); - Thursday before Great Lent.
Shota Rustaveli, the Poet, a reestablisher of Holy Cross Monastery in
Jerusalem; - Monday after Pentacost.
The Monks of Saint David Garesja monastery (Martyrs under Shah Abbas); -
Tuesday in Holy Week.
Saint DODO, Wednesday of the seventh week after Pascha (Easter).
Saint DAVID of Garedsja , Thursday of the seventh week after Pascha
There is a
similarity between the Georgian and Byzantine (Greek) Kalendars.
The following Saints, however, are commemorated by the Georgians. Some of
them are also included in the Armenian and Russian calendars.
This list is complited, with slight variations, from "Georgian Orthodox
Church Calendar", by